We’ve been in the environmental health and safety (EHS) training biz for a long time. Our success has come from being solution-driven and able to quickly size up our clients’ needs to provide them with common-sense, comprehensive solutions and communicate those in a way that captures the interest and enthusiasm of their employees.
It’s simply what we do.
So when clients shared with us over recent years that they were using web-based training to begin fulfilling their needs, we were dubious at best.
- Web-based training doesn’t have the same interactive nature as face-to-face communications. There’s no give-and-take, questions and answers, discussions relevant to employee’s health and safety or regulatory concerns.
- The products out there are so generic as to be virtually (pun intended) useless to the user, a far cry from engaging or relevant. A regurgitation of regulatory requirements with an employee, glassy-eyed, hitting “next” repeatedly on the keyboard and keeping their fingers crossed that they can pass the final quiz, putting an end to this colossal waste of time and bandwidth.
- Probably the worst issue for the EH&S professional looking to meet a regulatory training requirement? OSHA almost always requires training that is site- and employer-specific. In other words, while you’ve required your employee to sit in front of a computer terminal, slack-jawed with boredom and rolling their eyes about the time they are wasting on content that has nothing to do with their job, you’ve also missed the mark on meeting the regulatory training requirement.
Here’s an example from the Control of Hazardous Energy standard, 29 CFR 1910.147, more commonly known as “Lockout/Tagout.”
“The employer shall provide training to ensure that the purpose and function of the energy control program are understood by employees and that the knowledge and skills required for the safe application, usage, and removal of the energy controls are acquired by employees. The training shall include the following:
Each authorized employee shall receive training in the recognition of applicable hazardous energy sources, the type and magnitude of the energy available in the workplace, and the methods and means necessary for energy isolation and control.
Each affected employee shall be instructed in the purpose and use of the energy control procedure.”
Does your generic web-based training program talk about your workplace equipment-specific energy control procedures? Your worksite’s hazardous energy and its magnitude?
That’s just one quick example pulled from the OSHA standards. There are countless other regulatory training gaps when using a ‘canned’ training program.
We’ve spent time talking to EH&S professionals about their frustration with the market and what’s available. More critically, we’ve spent time talking to the employees who are irked with the training platform and the content. They value the flexibility of getting their training completed on their own time, but does it need to be so painful?
We have created a solution.
We introduced PCS Custom Training Solutions LLC, a new sister company to our live EH&S training and consulting business, Proactive Compliance Services Inc.
What will our training offer that the “generic” EH&S training packages do not?
- Content that is engaging and interactive — after all, what crime did employees commit that leaves us punishing them with monotone voiced-over PowerPoint slides?
- Content that is specific to their job responsibilities, their workplace, the hazards that they encounter.
- Content that meets the regulatory requirements, clarifies the employer’s requirements and policies, content that communicates information to employees that they can use to do their job more effectively and more safely.
After seventeen years in business, we know what makes training engaging and effective– and dare we say it? –fun.
Let us help you bring that same experience to your web-based training.
We are passionate about how invaluable high-quality training is to an employer who truly values safety. We know how disheartened you (and your employees) are with the limitations of the products currently on the market.
Contact us about partnering with PCS Custom Training Solutions LLC to forge the way to a better answer.
“Because if it isn’t customized, it probably isn’t compliant.”